Important Information for New Water Connection
- Payments are now done before the connection. Incase the connection IS NOT possible , the office refunds the amount payed
- The customer is required to meet ALL connection costs which include purchase of approved quality materials and labour costs i.e. excavation and fittings
- All excavations must be at least 2 feet deep
- After excavation and laying of pipes, no pipes shall be covered before approval by KIWASCO staff
- All payments with the exception of connection costs incurred (materials and labour) should be made to KIWASCO and an official receipt issued.
- Ensure you use Class D PVC or Class B Galvanized Iron (GI) pipes which are the recommended standard approved by the company. Samples of the pipes will be provided by the company upon request and failure to comply will result to denial of connection.
- Report any cases of attempted corruption in a bid to influence the new connection process. KIWASCO does not condone any form of corruption.
Reports can be sent to our website via anonymous reporting, send a toll free SMS to 20880 starting with the word KIWASCO, call our hotline 0721 757382, inbox at our official Facebook page or drop in our suggestion box located at the banking hall.
NB: Only KIWASCO reserves the right to authorize any connection or line extension on all existing pipeline.
Customer Service Charter
Kisumu Water and Sewerage Company Ltd (KIWASCO) was established through Water Sector Reforms as enshrined in the Water Act 2002. The Company was established in July 2003 as an independent company after the transformation of the water and sewerage department of the former Municipal Council of Kisumu. The core objective of KIWASCO is to make the water and sewerage services provision a commercial activity that generates sufficient revenue to sustain its operations throughout KISUMU County.
1. Our Commitment
We commit to give high quality customer service to the residents of
Kisumu County. We also recognize that there is need for mutual
commitment from our esteemed customers and other stakeholders so
as to ensure cordial working relationship and enhance quality of
service delivery. We trust that we shall together embrace these principles for improved
water and sewerage services in Kisumu County and give true meaning
to our slogan, "Refresh Life".
Our service commitment has at its core effective and efficient communication. We always aim to:
- Ensure sufficient access and availability of our customer service staff to respond to customer service queries.
- Endeavor to provide answers to the questions and queries raised.
- Endeavour to open channels of communication through active hotline numbers, website and email.
3. Customer Service Standards
To emphasize our commitment, we guarantee the following service standards and reinforce them with comprehensive policies where applicable.
- The Company undertakes to resolve all reported customer complaints and communicate to the customer upon resolution of the complaints.
- The Company undertakes to communicate immediately all water supply interruptions, water quality discrepancies, special project updates and challenges requiring customer attention through hand delivered notices, the media, telephone or SMS.
- The company shall call major customers and estate representatives to confirm the status of water supply and sewerage services on a daily basis.
- All our staff shall display their identification cards at all times while on duty.
- The Company shall communicate due date for bill payment through bills, telephone, SMS and emails.
3.2 Reliable Quality Water Always
We undertake to ensure adequate and consistent supply of clean and potable water that meets the standards of regulatory and statutory institutions including Water Services Regulatory Board (WASREB), Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS), NEMA, World Health Organization and Ministry of Water & Irrigation.
3.3 Metering and Billing
- The Company undertakes to provide working and accurate meters to all her customers and to read the meters in a regular 30-days cycle.
- The Company shall deliver all domestic consumer bills by the 27th day of the month; and commercial and institutional bills by the 3rd day of the month.
- The Company undertakes to educate all her customers on meter reading to promote a transparent and accountable business relationship
- The Company commits to replace all faulty meters within 48 hours of reporting.
- The Company undertakes to enforce applicable fines and penalties on willful damage to meters, bypasses, illegal connections, loss of meters, illegal boreholes and any other malpractices.
- IIn the event of wrong billing, debits/credits will be approved by the Company as per the laid down policies. No complaints will be accepted after the expiry of 3 months from the date of billing.
- Disconnections for non-payment shall be done from the 16 day of the month of billing; however customers with outstanding arrears will be disconnected without any further notice. A reconnection fees of kshs 500 is to paid cash at our OFFICES.
- Disconnection by request will be done within 24 hours from the time of notification.
3.5 Quick Processing of New Water and Sewerage Supply Agreement
The Company undertakes to process applications for new connections within four (4) working days on receipt of duly completed forms. Any delays shall be communicated to the customer within 12 hours of the deadline.
3.6 Payment of Deposits
The Company undertakes to refund water deposits within fourteen (14) working days from the date of application; upon receipt of all relevant documents.
3.7 Reconnection of Disconnected Water Supply
The Company undertakes to reconnect water supply to disconnected customers within 24 hours of receipt of applicable penalty charges. The Company shall reimburse reconnection fees for any delays attributable to their failure. All mistaken connections will be reconnected free within 12 hours..
3.8 Timely Response to Pipe Bursts, Leakages and Sewer Blockages
- The Company shall repair major water pipe bursts within 24 hours of reporting.
- All water leakages shall be repaired within 12 hours from reporting time.
- The company undertakes to unblock all sewer blockages within 12 working hours from reporting time.
4. Customer Responsibilities
- Prompt payment of water and sewer bills. All customers should pay bills by 15th day of each month. You can also pay your bills through M-PESA using our business number 517000.
- Report all illegal water connections around you to KIWASCO. Illegal water consumption frustrates company growth and future prospects.
- Avoid willful damage or interference with the meter. Any such damage will result in surcharge as approved by WASREB.
- Understand and know how to read your meter to help us remain accountable and transparent in billing.
- Monitor use of water to ensure no wastage which may result in high bills.
- Report all leaks and bursts to ensure uninterrupted water supply.
- Forward all complaints and demand action from the company.
Use the Company's toll free number 20880 for complaints, compliments and bill query; starting with the word KIWASCO.
- Register in our e-billing facility by visiting our customer service office. We have made your bill inquiry possible through your cell phone.
- Ensure minimum storage in your house of 200 liters for domestic use and 6 hours of average consumption for industrial or commercial use.
- While making new water or sewer connections ensure compliance with minimum technical standards of the company.
5. Quality of Staff
We commit to ensure that our staffs are well trained in their respective professional fields, motivated and incentivized to provide the highest level of customer service, provided with good working environment and protective wear when delivering service to our customers. Our staff will always be responsive, courteous and highly professional in all interactions with customers.
6. Relevance of the Charter
The Company shall ensure continuous relevance of the Customer Service Charter in consultation with its stakeholders with a view of improving the customer experience. The review of the Charter will be done after every three years or earlier; as necessary.
7. How to Lodge Complaints
- Customer reports complaints in person, telephone or in writing or by sending a text to 20880 with the format "KIWASCO complaint", i.e. "KIWASCO complaint on particular issue".
- The complaint is received by any company employee either in the field by field officers and or in the office by Customer Care Executives.
- The complaint is recorded in the system and the complainant receives a text with the ticket number. Ensure that the following details are correctly recorded:
In case of complaints requiring more than the specified time of action, the company will communicate such delays to the customer within 12 hours before deadline.
Customers who are dissatisfied with action taken by staff can appeal directly to the Managing Director through the company's contacts.
Customers can also make further appeals if still dissatisfied to the WAB or LVSWSB.
- Customers name, account number and address plus phone number
- Nature of complaint
- Person responsible for action
- Expected action and date as per company policy